Fodor’s travel experts just named Hilton Head one of the Top 10 Islands to visit this winter. Watch this awesome video from our local Chamber of Commerce and you’ll see why. Highlights include #babyseaturtles and #southerncharm….and yes, gorgeous #golf.
This latest accolade comes on the back of being named the #7 “Happiest Seaside Town in America” by Coastal Living and Sea Pines Resorts included among the Top 25 Resorts in the US for 2017 by Trip Advisor. Also, WalletHub just released its annual list for “Best States for Retirees” and South Carolina attained 7th place overall, only beat out by Florida (still the #1 spot) in the South. This is judged mainly by affordability, quality of life, and healthcare, and other factors such as population of 65 and older (which explains why Florida beat SC as we have younger families moving to the state at a higher rate than in the past). The states that separated Florida from SC were Wyoming, South Dakota, Idaho, Iowa, and Colorado.
COME ON DOWN!!! It was 80 degrees and sunny today!
Other news to highlight this week includes:
- Jim Furyk is among the early birds to submit his entry for the RBC Heritage (the finals will be played on Easter Sunday this year- April 16) at Harbour Town. Furyk, a two-time winner at Harbour Town Golf Links, and 2013 champion Graeme McDowell were the headliners among five former winners announced Friday among the earliest commitments to the PGA Tour’s annual visit. Rounding out the list are Stewart Cink, like Furyk the owner of two tartan jackets, along with 2006 winner Aaron Baddeley and 2012 champion Carl Pettersson.
- Time to buy a bigger car, folks- the new Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart are officially open in Bluffton! I haven’t been yet but word on the street is that Sam’s Club has vending machines filled with free samples…
- Since the majority of students who attend Hilton Head Christian Academy now live in Bluffton, the school will be DOUBLING in size and MOVING to Bluffton. The K-12 private school is hoping to open the doors on its new campus sometime for the 2019-2020 school year.
- DON’T GO IN THE WATER! Our local “shark whisperer” Chip Micalove, and his crew, caught their FIFTH (yes, 5 thus far) great white shark this year. It’s only early February. This one was 14ft long and was caught 16 miles off the coast of Hilton Head.
- Environmental studies have commenced for the proposed $4.7bn Jasper Ocean Terminal- a 1,500-acre container port which would be owned and operated jointly by Georgia and South Carolina, helping the two states create a southeastern gateway for the country’s fastest-growing region.This is HUGE!
Enjoy your weekend and happy house hunting!!!
PS- Come visit me at a FABULOUS Open House this weekend in Rose Hill Plantation- 23 Martingale E- Sunday, Feb 5, 1-4pm. This elegant 4BR office/3.5B estate nestled on a private ~ 3-acre equestrian lot is your escape to luxury.